Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Art of Being Succinct in Business

Years ago I attended a Toastmasters meeting where I was asked to describe what I do in 5 words or less. Try it, it's not easy!

My answer was "I help people work smarter." As a business owner, or marketing CEO, you want to develop what is called an elevator pitch, usually less than 90 seconds, that gives a more in depth description of your business. When communicating in print, short and to the point is usually more powerful and effective than a paragraph of elaborate descriptions. Think about good billboard advertising, it usually makes the company's point in less than 6 words. Also, remember quotations are popular with people because they deliver a powerful message succinctly.

You might want to review your advertising and ask yourself, and others, whether you are communicating verbally and visually succinctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment